24 May Set Goals for Success: An Easy-to-Remember Method for Accomplishment
Most of us have dreams for how we want to improve our lives and ourselves, as well as goals we want to achieve…but, how do we define those goals to help ensure our success? Using the SMART method (and its easy to remember acronym), can help you remember the steps, as well as clarify your goals and make a plan to reach them! We’ve all probably thought of great ideas in the shower, but without the follow-through, you won’t end up reaching the finish line. Try this method and see how you do!
Take a look at these simple steps to help define your goals:
- Specific: Narrow down what you truly want to accomplish. Instead of “I want to be healthier,” decide what helps define improved health to you. For example, “I want to improve my endurance when walking.”
- Measurable: Now, decide how you will measure progress towards your goal. You can measure distance or time that you have exercised, hours of sleep, or number of days each week you will stretch.
- Attainable: Are you able to take action to meet the goal and is this a change that you can make instead of something that needs to happen to you? Make sure you have the power to determine your success.
- Realistic: Choose a goal that is realistic for the time and ability you have. If you have just started a running program, it may be unrealistic (and unsafe) to set a goal to run a marathon in two months.
- Time bound: When do you expect to achieve this goal? It’s often beneficial to set a long-term goal and make additional short-term goals to help reach the long-term goal. For example, the long-term goal may be to stretch 30 minutes/day for 5 days a week. To begin, you may have a short-term goal of 10 minutes each day for the first week, 20 minutes a day for the second week, and finally achieving the long term goal of 30 minutes in the third week.
By working through these steps, you’ll be more likely to follow through with the process needed to help you achieve your goals. Remember, the journey of 1,000 miles begins with just one step! If you’re having problems taking that first step, or if you’re battling chronic pain, old injuries, or you’ve gotten away from your health goals, Body One is here to help. We have an entire menu of Wellness Services, as well as our expert physical therapy care, depending on your needs. We know that while there is no magic pill for musculoskeletal issues, almost everyone benefits from physical therapy. If you have goals to improve your physical functioning and movement consult with your Body One Physical Therapist so we can help you on your path to success!
We know that almost everyone benefits from physical therapy: the only question is what’s YOUR benefit? Call our experienced, helpful front desk team to find out how we can help you and find out your benefit. We have three convenient locations serving Central Indianapolis: Fishers, North Meridian, and Zionsville. Call or click today!