21 Apr What to expect during your initial PT visit?
Have you considered scheduling a physical therapy appointment for that nagging ache or pain, but haven’t followed through because you’re anxious or unsure of what to expect during your visit? Today is the day those fears will be conquered! From all of our skilled therapists you can expect the following:
- Conversation: Every appointment begins with a conversation. During your initial evaluation we’ll review your past medical history, listen to your story, identify aggravating factors, and discuss goals.
- Evaluation: We perform a physical assessment. This often includes your posture, range of motion, strength, painful activity, and other tests your therapist deems relevant to your condition. We discuss the results of your evaluation to help you understand your condition.
- Treatment: You will receive treatment following your evaluation. Yes, even on your first day! Treatment often consists of “hands on” treatment that involves your therapist helping improve joint mobility or muscle flexibility, as well as exercises to help you navigate through your condition. We’ll also discuss activity, exercise, and postural modifications.
- Home Exercise Program: Your therapist will teach you several exercises and/or stretches to be performed as part of your home exercise program. You will receive pictures to take home so you don’t have to try to remember what are likely foreign movements for your body. This “homework” is important to perform as prescribed by your therapist in order to make consistent progress with your condition.
- Follow Up: Your therapist will recommend a treatment plan consisting of an estimated number of physical therapy sessions over the course of upcoming weeks’ time.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding what to expect, please call one of our friendly offices and we would be glad to help. If you have nagging aches or pains, what are you waiting for? Call now to schedule with one of the talented and caring physical therapists at Body One.