13 Aug Five Signs Your Training is On Track
You’re putting in the time, energy, and effort toward your fitness goals, so how do you know that it’s all paying off? There are some pretty reliable signs that your body is adjusting well to training, which should keep you motivated to keep it up; we share the signs – as well as what to do if you aren’t seeing the results you expect…
5 Signs Your Training is Giving You the Green Light
- You can do a little more each time: For endurance sports, you can run farther, cycle longer, hike more. You can lift heavier weights if you’re weight training. In short, you’re seeing real progress.
- You are less sore: As your body adjusts, you find yourself less sore after workouts and feel better on your recovery days.
- It feels easier: We didn’t say easy, we said easier. As you progress in your training, workouts that used to be hard should feel easier. For example, a two mile run may become a walk in the park, while a five mile run is a challenge, as you move through your training plan.
- You bounce back faster: Admit it, the first time after a new workout, you may feel like you’ve been hit by a truck. As you continue, your body should adjust and those workouts won’t reduce you to a mess of DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness) on the couch. You’ll be up for new and harder challenges.
- You feel good: You may experience occasional soreness, but it’s mild and infrequent. Overall, you feel good both physically and mentally. You’re not overly exhausted and you can keep up with your workouts.
If you identified with this list, congratulations! If not, don’t worry – there are always hiccups along the way toward any goal, even if it’s catching a cold, or losing a toenail. Stay tuned for our upcoming article: 5 Signs Your Training Is Not on Track! If you aren’t making the progress you expect, if you suspect you have movement/pain/mobility problems holding you back, or if you just want a professional assessment, schedule an appointment with a physical therapist. A physical therapist is an expert of the musculoskeletal system and an ideal resource when training for any goal. S/he can examine you and recommend a treatment plan based on your unique needs, goals, and ability.
At Body One Physical Therapy, our compassionate, expert team sees clients of all ages and activity levels, and we’d love to help you reach your goals! We’re both locally-owned and operated, with three locations serving Central Indiana: North Indianapolis, Fishers, and Zionsville. Don’t give up on your goals because your body won’t cooperate – figuring out how to help you recover is our job! Call today.