Take These Seven Steps to Improve Your Recovery
There’s nothing more frustrating than planning your summer fitness season, only to have an unlucky moment send you back to square one. It stands to reason with warm weather, more people get out and train for goals they’ve set for later in the year. Runners may start preparing for a fall marathon. Bicyclists may be gearing up (see what we did there?) for a long ride once the weather cools off.
Despite the heat and humidity, summer is a busy time for active folks – and only a second of inattention or bad luck can really wreck your plans. You’re not paying attention and end up hurting your shoulder while doing a project, or you trip over yard tools and have a bad ankle sprain. Of course injury can happen during your activities, too. Our hypothetical injuries happen to weekend warriors every year, and what matters most is how they recover!
The Active Recovery Game Plan
- Injury is not a license to lie on the couch and give up. Treat your recovery like your training! Give it 100%.
- Call in the pros. Your favorite athletes don’t wing it or risk DIY physical therapy – they have an expert on hand to help them back to the game and you should, too. Head to a physical therapist for your injury assessment and treatment.
- Stay as active as possible. If running is out, see if you can swim. If cycling is off the agenda, try yoga. You’ll benefit from the change of pace and staying active is important.
- Give your body a break – get enough rest. There’s a saying “the race is won in bed.” Your body needs sleep to heal, so getting 7-8 hours of sleep a night is a wise move.
- Give your body the fuel it needs. Healthy protein, good fats, and a variety of healthy grains, fruits, and veggies are a good choice, especially when your body is healing from injury.
- Pay attention to the emotional side of injury. Being unable to reach a goal you’ve worked for because of injury is adding insult to literal injury – and it’s only natural to be emotional about it.
- Follow instructions! If your physical therapist has given you a treatment plan, it only works if you follow it. Keep your appointments and do your at-home exercises. Be a part of your recovery!
If you need help recovering after injury, Body One Physical Therapy is ready to help. We’re locally-owned and operated, with three locations serving Central Indiana: North Indianapolis, Fishers, and Zionsville. Our team of caring, expert providers sees patients of all ages and activity levels, and we’d love to add you to our long list of satisfied clients. Don’t take chances and hope for the best, call Body One today!