Five Reasons to Start Lifting Weights
Weight lifting isn’t just for the bulky guys at the gym working on “mirror muscles” or extra-toned fitness models – weight lifting is something that can benefit people for several important reason.
Yes, even you. Yes, even if you’ve never lifted weights before. Now that we’ve answered those questions, we’ll explain why almost everyone would benefit from some weight lifting.
- You lose muscle as you age. It’s unfair and unfortunate, but still true. Inactive people start to lose 3-5% of muscle mass each decade after age 30. It may not seem like much; however, if you want to play with your kids or grand kids, or enjoy an active retirement, it may make a big difference.
- You’ll gain strength. It should go without saying, but lifting weights can build muscle and help make you stronger. Maybe yard work gets a little easier, and you notice muscle tone you didn’t have before (also a plus).
- Boost your metabolism. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest. So by lifting weights, you’ll help rev up your resting metabolic rate.
- Reduce injury risk. By adding weight-bearing workouts to your plate, you strengthen not just your muscles but even your bones! Lifting weights can help reduce injury risk by helping improve overall strength.
- Help your heart. According to some studies, lifting weights can help reduce heart attack and stroke risk by up to 70%! It may not even take one hour per week to have these heart-healthy benefits.
If you’re inspired to try lifting, don’t try lifting the heaviest weights you can. Start small, and work your way up. You can try free weights at home, or even soup cans to get you started. Most gyms have weight machines with easy-to-follow instructions, and you can also work with a personal trainer until you’re comfortable – or if you have a specific goal in mind. If you’re concerned about strength imbalances, muscle weakness, movement problems, or pain, visiting a physical therapist is a great starting point. Your physical therapist can evaluate your condition and recommend a treatment plan, most often with home exercises to help you make progress.
Ready to tackle the gym but need a spotter? Body One has your back! We’re locally-owned and operated, with three locations, serving Central Indiana: North Indianapolis, Fishers, and Zionsville. Our team of caring, expert providers treats patients of all ages and activity levels and we’d love to help you, too. Don’t let pain and restrictions rule your life. Call Body One today!