Not in Shape for Summer? Tips on How to Get in Shape (Even with Limitations)
Summer is here: the time of year many people realize their winter plans to get in shape and stay there haven’t materialized. All the good intentions of New Year’s and probably a diet (or two) have gone out the window; does that mean you’re destined to spend this summer season frustrated and out of shape? No! So, how do you (finally) get in shape and stay there – and what do you do if something is preventing you from making the progress you know you can make? We give you pointers today to help get you moving on the road to success!
Getting in Shape
As we’ve written before, there’s no magic pill! If there were, diet and fitness would be a simple business and we’d all be eating pizza guilt-free. For most people, gaining weight and falling out of shape wasn’t an overnight process, so expecting results overnight isn’t logical either! Here are some tips to get you started:
- Eat less: You don’t have to go wild with calorie counting to reduce your portions. If you’re a regular for second helpings, try just one. If “treating” yourself has gone from indulgence to habit, pass on the regular “treats.”
- Get Rid of Junk: Example: If you’re a sucker for sweets, don’t load up on sugary snacks at the grocery. It’s easier to beat temptation when you don’t have it in your house.
- Move More: You can build extra movement into your day with small changes, even like parking at the back of the lot, or going for a lunch time walk.
- Commit to Exercise: Give yourself time to find exercise that you like; just because your best friend loves Zumba doesn’t mean it’ll be your favorite! Experiment and find something you like and you can stick with several times a week. Grab a friend – making exercise part of your social time can help keep you motivated.
- Reward small goals: Lost five pounds? How about a healthy reward, like a fitness watch or membership you were considering! Replace food rewards with healthy motivation.
What to Do With Limitations
Many people have physical limitations which they feel prevent them from exercising and getting in shape. Knee pain, back pain, old sports injuries, and more can all make you feel like you’re stuck back at square one when it comes to fitness. Here are some easy steps to keep limitations from holding you back:
- See a physical therapist for help with physical movement/mobility issues, regardless of how old the injury is.
- Follow the physical therapist’s custom-tailored plan to improve movement, flexibility, strength, and more.
- Work with your physical therapist toward increasing your physical activity and improving overall health.
By seeing a physical therapist, you’ll be visiting an expert in the musculoskeletal system who is a doctor of one of several specific disciplines. Your PT will work with you to decrease pain and discomfort, while educating you on your condition and how to best improve it. For people who have put off getting in better shape because of any limitations, seeing a physical therapist is the ideal resource who can help get you moving again.
If you’re ready to get moving and work on your fitness, or if you have limitations getting in the way, Body One Physical Therapy is here to help! We’re locally-owned and operated, with four locations serving Central Indiana: North Indianapolis, South Indianapolis, Fishers, and Zionsville. Don’t wait until next summer to get in shape, today’s the day! Call Body One and we’ll help get you moving in the right direction.